Are you and your team struggling with a less-than-ideal work environment?
Teams are difficult to manage—each individual brings her or his own motivations, perspectives, and personality. Often, it seems impossible to get everyone on the same page.
But as difficult as it is at times, we all know it’s worth the effort. Positive team dynamic is vital to a strong, healthy organization.
Whether your team has been together for years, or if you’re just putting one together, it’s important to nail down the important issues.
Who are we? Why are we here? Where are we going?
Here’s the bottom line: We need to build better teams.
But how do we go about that? Today on The Miranda Ayim Podcast, I have the perfect person to help us start these conversations and move towards strong purpose, clarity, and buy in. Bryce Tully is a mental performance consultant and building strong team culture is his specialty.
As a mental performance coach, Bryce Tully is passionate about helping people and teams reach their dreams. Over the past decade, Bryce has worked with the Canadian Olympic Team, Canada Basketball, Hockey Canada, the Canadian Sport Institute and many more pro athletes and teams competing at a professional and Olympic level.
Bryce helps teams and athletes break through stagnancy, define purpose, create ideal performance environments, and build strong, dynamic culture.
His thoughtful analysis and razor-sharp mental models make important concepts concrete, practical and applicable.
He has become a key innovator in the area of social-emotional design as the co-founder and CEO of innerlogic, a platform devoted to helping organizations optimize their culture, leadership and emotional intelligence.
In this interview, Bryce and I discuss the role of personal traits, skills, and values in a team context; how leaders can create “buy-in”; the tension between personal motivators and team purpose; and creating an ideal “lab” environment to encourage growth.
If you work with or lead a team, this conversation is for you.
Join me on Episode 01 and discover the power of strong team culture with Bryce Tully!
SOME QUESTIONS I ASK
- What is culture and why is it worth paying attention to?
- What is the difference between skills, traits, and values?
- Can skills and habits become permanent traits or character?
- Why are some people high-performing in one area but a disaster in other areas?
- How can a leader create buy-in?
- How can we use motivational techniques to our advantage?
KEY DISCUSSION POINTS
- Why skills are a key component of growth mindset.
- The role of skills, traits and values in building character (and the effect it has on a team)
- The tension of personal motivation vs. team purpose
- The “Performance Persona” Technique
- Why purpose takes precedence over motivation.
- Why you shouldn’t make your best performance your new baseline.
- How to tap into your “Done List” more than your “To-Do List.”
- Why culture is a key performance indicator in high-pressure situations.
- How to create a psychologically safe environment.
- How to embrace tension and encourage growth.
- Plus much more…